Last week I finished the four most grueling weeks in football. A period of time when 90 players are fighting for 53 spots. A period when you leave family, friends, and normalcy behind and devote your all to Making The Cut. Everyone knows about the glitz and glamour of the NFL—the money, the celebrity, and
Last week I finished the four most grueling weeks in football. A period of time when 90 players are fighting for 53 spots. A period when you leave family, friends, and normalcy behind and devote your all to Making The Cut.
Everyone knows about the glitz and glamour of the NFL—the money, the celebrity, and the privileges the game affords you. But what few people realize is that many hopes are shot down and dreams are crushed on the way to simply making the roster.
Though I’m not a big fan of reality TV, HBO’s Hard Knocks does a pretty good job of shedding light on what really goes on during training camp. Players have a few short weeks to show the coaches their skills, and if they don’t get the job done, they are cut from the team with their NFL dreams being very short lived. People may think that it’s easy to focus one’s attention for a few weeks on something so important, but let me give you a few real examples of how it’s not.
As we started our morning Bible study, I asked if anyone had anything going on that they would like us to pray for. One situation in particular stood out the most. “Yeah, well today is our first practice, so pray for that. And also today is the day that my mom starts chemo. Please pray for her during that process as well. Thanks guys.”
Another teammate experienced the joy of seeing his child born, but, in an effort to continue to show his stuff, left the next day to play in a game.
Countless other NFL players suffered season- or career-ending injuries. Or, most likely, they were among the many who heard the dreaded words, “Coach needs to see you. Bring your playbook.”
It’s a tough, grueling experience—it stretches you further than you think you can go. But I’m here to tell you it’s totally worth it.
The reasons why it’s worth it varies for everyone, but for me, it’s all about Week 1. Monday Night Football against the San Diego Chargers. Fighting together with my teammates for victory. And then Week 2. And on it goes.
The memories, the friendships, the journey—this is why I do what I do. Is it hard? Yes. Is it worth it? You better believe it.
See you on the grass.
- Great team win all the way around.. The tides have turned!! Let's Freakin Go!! #AZvsSF #LFG #team,
- "What then are we to say about these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?" Romans 8:31. Excited 4 me & @thEMANacho 2day #LFG,
- RT @BIRDGNGROADCREW: BY 10am Sunday I Want to see #BeatSF or #BlackOutSF or #BlackOutNiners Trending ! #Birdgang @AZCardinals @AZSuperBowl @TheSamAcho #LFG,
- RT @HoodJesusYo: Me tryin to tackle life without Jesus http://t.co/pjpOTkaG2Q,
- RT @mrmedina: UNREAL http://t.co/Q1NBwzfj5k,
- Looks like @lecrae on the @jimmyfallon show won't come on until 10:30pm phx time .. #westcoastproblems #LecraeOnFallon #ANOMALY,
- So I'm already a @jimmyfallon fan, but now @lecrae is about to be on... I can't wait!! 8:35pm Phx time.. I'm there #LecraeOnFallon,
- RT @djofficialdj: I'm praying for @lecrae and for the Lord to give him strength throughout all that he is doing. The enemy definitely hates him. Pray with me.,
- RT @lecrae: It's gonna be a fun time... who's tuning-in to @FallonTonight? #lecraeonfallon http://t.co/TQrguJuREP,
- Congrats to friend and former cohost @haileyfrances on her engagement! Many men couldn't hang, u found the right one! http://t.co/tUY8VcAOik,
- RT @azbobbymac: Watch: The Sam Acho on azcentral sports http://t.co/Lr15rWqIZs via @azcentral,
- In case you missed it, you can find the entire show on http://t.co/CA4NxuaoFU in the sports section. Let's Freakin Go! #AchoShow #LFG,
- Can't believe I tied @azbobbymac in the Wing eating contest!! My 1st instinct was to dip it in ranch.. #questionablechoice #AchoShow,
- RT @AndyJ0seph: Wing eating contest. @azbobbymac vs. @TheSamAcho. And it's a tie! #AchoShow http://t.co/iUpfJDeICc,
- RT @falleraz: Calais Campbell and @TheSamAcho play charades on #achoshow on @azcsports. Sam says they do this all the time ... http://t.co/PKA5UzxFxt,