As a high school athlete, I found joy in watching ESPN. In fact, I would finish my homework early (or not do it at all) just to watch these nightly sport shows. But it wasn’t just a show that drew me in. Instead, I was drawn to the TV personalities—and in particular, Stuart Scott. Stuart Scott
As a high school athlete, I found joy in watching ESPN. In fact, I would finish my homework early (or not do it at all) just to watch these nightly sport shows. But it wasn’t just a show that drew me in. Instead, I was drawn to the TV personalities—and in particular, Stuart Scott.
Stuart Scott made you feel like a friend, like you were teammates who just happened to be talking sports. He made SportsCenter fun. He made the show interesting. He brought sports to life. Stuart Scott battled to break barriers in an industry that, for a long time, had been as vanilla as it gets. He stepped out on a limb and resolved to be true to himself. This hard-fought battle is what brought joy to millions of Americans, young and old, who wanted to see something new.
Stuart Scott also had another battle—a battle with an enemy that has taken the lives of more than its fair share of friends and family members. His battle was with cancer. For seven years he fought that battle, encouraging and inspiring us all as we watched. His face thinned and his strength drained but his resolve never wore out. He shocked us all by continuing to work (and work well) while still fighting this battle, all the while doing it with a smile on his face. He decided—as he had long, long ago—to live life to the fullest, and to not worry about tomorrow.
This 14 minute tribute to Stuart Scott will give a little insight to the type of man he was. But 14 minutes could never be enough to show the immense impact he had on an entire industry. He changed the culture of the sports world as we know it, and we will forever be indebted to him.
Stuart, though I never got a chance to meet you, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for showing me and those around me how to lead, love, and live life to the fullest. Thank you for showing us how to be brave, and for inspiring us in the times when we need it most. I’m praying for your family, especially your daughters. I know they will continue to carry on the legacy you left.
Love and respect,
- RT @Cristin_Dunn: Only suiting for a @AZCardinals photo at #SuperBowlXLIX in PHX w/ @Mathieu_Era & @TheSamAcho. Two really cool guys! http://t.co/0QfGgwWIaZ,
- Can't wait to hang with the winners of the #achosnachos SB ticket giveaway this weekend! @Claytes and Matthew, see you in Phx!! #sb49,
- RT @PastorCJ: I feel so good to have my crew taking the stage!!! These are my guys!!! #nflinhd @elevateint @btrain92… http://t.co/Z0YKIhuLbW,
- RT @kcovington: @TheSamAcho @tram_mai Great interview! So proud of Sam & fundraiser to win #SB49 tickets to benefit his charity.#BeOn12,
- RT @JForsett: 5 hr flight back to PHX I had @thederekminor new album Empire on repeat the whole time. You have to grab this ASAP! 🔥🔥🔥,
- Excited to hang w/ @JordinSparks @Campbell93 @LarryFitzgerald & @ChrisetteM tomorrow at the #RWBParty details at http://t.co/c8CB62eeHz,
- Today's the day. We all rise. http://t.co/7mwtcGH4uB #RiseBook,
- RT @Claytes: Just reTweeted @TheSamAcho because um, yes, that is my husband who won a trip to #SB49! @UOPXStadium here we come!,
- RT @nfl: So. Many. People. #SBMediaDay http://t.co/WszJOIEIaQ,
- It's finally here!! #RiseBook is available. So I got a chance to read it early and couldn't put in down. http://t.co/7mwtcGH4uB @TripLee,
- Congrats to Matthew from New Jersey on winning the tickets for #SB49! You'll enjoy the game, and of course... Nachos!! #achosnachos #charity,
- I'm pumped to find out who won my Super Bowl ticket give away!! I'll know within the hour!! #achosnachos #SB49 #livinghope,
- RT @JimmyTatro: "I'm really good at defense and rebounds" -people who suck at basketball when other people ask them if they're good at basketball,
- RT @linzespieler: Post-jumping cholla attack. #BirdGang #FourPeaks http://t.co/VNhp0KUHXV,
- RT @FurmBiz: Hummer tour w/@Campbell93 & @TheSamAcho! Watch #NFLRush on @NickelodeonTV to find out what's happening here! #cacti http://t.co/Htcxjpek0d,