As a high school athlete, I found joy in watching ESPN. In fact, I would finish my homework early (or not do it at all) just to watch these nightly sport shows. But it wasn’t just a show that drew me in. Instead, I was drawn to the TV personalities—and in particular, Stuart Scott. Stuart Scott
As a high school athlete, I found joy in watching ESPN. In fact, I would finish my homework early (or not do it at all) just to watch these nightly sport shows. But it wasn’t just a show that drew me in. Instead, I was drawn to the TV personalities—and in particular, Stuart Scott.
Stuart Scott made you feel like a friend, like you were teammates who just happened to be talking sports. He made SportsCenter fun. He made the show interesting. He brought sports to life. Stuart Scott battled to break barriers in an industry that, for a long time, had been as vanilla as it gets. He stepped out on a limb and resolved to be true to himself. This hard-fought battle is what brought joy to millions of Americans, young and old, who wanted to see something new.
Stuart Scott also had another battle—a battle with an enemy that has taken the lives of more than its fair share of friends and family members. His battle was with cancer. For seven years he fought that battle, encouraging and inspiring us all as we watched. His face thinned and his strength drained but his resolve never wore out. He shocked us all by continuing to work (and work well) while still fighting this battle, all the while doing it with a smile on his face. He decided—as he had long, long ago—to live life to the fullest, and to not worry about tomorrow.
This 14 minute tribute to Stuart Scott will give a little insight to the type of man he was. But 14 minutes could never be enough to show the immense impact he had on an entire industry. He changed the culture of the sports world as we know it, and we will forever be indebted to him.
Stuart, though I never got a chance to meet you, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for showing me and those around me how to lead, love, and live life to the fullest. Thank you for showing us how to be brave, and for inspiring us in the times when we need it most. I’m praying for your family, especially your daughters. I know they will continue to carry on the legacy you left.
Love and respect,
- Verse of the morning- Psalm 115:2-3 Why should the nations say, "Where is their God?" Our God is in the heavens; he does all that he pleases,
- ... In love, in faith, in purity." Good morning!!,
- The verse for this morning is 1 Timothy 4:12 "Let no one despise you for your youth, but set the believers an example in speech, in conduct,
- Good luck to all my Texas guys at their Pro Day today. Relish the moment @JHicks_3 @TexasSports,
- For those who don't know, I have a 3 month old son. Also, for those who don't know, he's the cutest kid ever #caleb http://t.co/dtP2Tkm3hI,
- Verse of the morning: Proverbs 18:16 "A man's gift makes room for him and brings him before the great" Good morning everyone!,
- RT @JForsett: The verse for tonight is 1 Corinthians 4:5 Goodnight & God Bless!!,
- My man @JForsett always has his verse for the night, I think I'm gonna start doing a verse for the morning.. Thoughts?,
- RT @tomfgoodwin: I guess I should be grateful someone else got 5,000 retweets for my writing. http://t.co/ANWpiHjsTe,
- RT @espn: "I was so unprepared to wave the white flag. It even pisses me off to say that right now ..." -@SteveNash on retiring http://t.co/p1mP4kmGaI,
- Great article on @SteveNash retirement http://t.co/Eu26jsjwzh even just for the picture of Nashty, Dirty, & Fiesty together again #Mavs,
- RT @bradlomenick: Make excellence a non-negotiable. Chase after a level & standard of excellence that will stretch you & astonish others,
- Bump SeaWorld, the Pacific Ocean is the greatest water park ever #itswherewhalesplay #Godmadethat http://t.co/eGK7FqZd6C,
- In Hawaii, watching the perfect sunset and watching whales play in the playground God made for them. Am I'm worried about free agency 😏,
- Enjoying beautiful Hawaii with the love of my life. Happy anniversary #1year http://t.co/YBTzCInbYG,